Monday, September 19, 2011

Intro to Daddy George

Why am I dedicating an entire blog to my father?  Why not?  He was one of the most interesting people I've ever met - which might have spoiled me for other personalities.  He led an interesting life, at least in his early years, and had a way of making mundane things sound hilarious. 

He was more of a storyteller than a writer.  I urged him to write, whether it was a few notes resembling a memoir, even a fictionalized version of his life.  Something to hold on to.  He didn't care to, and that was that.

When he died, five years ago now, I had to balance genuine mourning with holding on to the past.  I made some hard decisions regarding which of his belongings to keep.  Of course I kept an album my aunt had made, full of pictures of him growing up, some schoolwork, and letters home from the service.  I avoiding talking about him on my main blog, because I try not to be too personal there.  And I won't be here either.  I have friends and family I could talk to for that. 

Here I will relate memories, mostly the fun ones.  I hope to think my sense of humor was inherited from him, and I hope some of it will come through here.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful idea! This sounds like a wonderful tribute to someone you truly loved.

    ReplyDelete